GABAPENTIN- gabapentin capsule
Advanced Rx Pharmacy of Tennessee, LLC
Gabapentin Capsules, USP
(gab'' a pen' tin)
What is the most important information I should know about gabapentin capsules?
Do not stop taking gabapentin capsules without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Stopping gabapentin capsules suddenly can cause serious problems.
Gabapentin capsules can cause serious side effects including:
1. Suicidal Thoughts. Like other antiepileptic drugs, gabapentin capsules may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500.
Call a healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms, especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:
How can I watch for early symptoms of suicidal thoughts and actions?
Call your healthcare provider between visits as needed, especially if you are worried about symptoms.
Do not stop taking gabapentin capsules without first talking to a healthcare provider.
2. Changes in behavior and thinking - Using gabapentin capsules in children 3 to 12 years of age can cause emotional changes, aggressive behavior, problems with concentration, restlessness, changes in school performance, and hyperactivity.
3. Gabapentin capsules may cause serious or life-threatening allergic reactions that may affect your skin or other parts of your body such as your liver or blood cells. This may cause you to be hospitalized or to stop gabapentin capsules. You may or may not have a rash with an allergic reaction caused by gabapentin capsules. Call a healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
These symptoms may be the first signs of a serious reaction. A healthcare provider should examine you to decide if you should continue taking gabapentin capsules.
4. Serious breathing problems. Serious breathing problems can occur when gabapentin capsules are taken with other medicines that can cause severe sleepiness or decreased awareness, or when it is taken by someone who already has breathing problems. Watch for increased sleepiness or decreased breathing when starting gabapentin capsules or when the dose is increased. Get help right away if breathing problems occur.
What are gabapentin capsules?
Gabapentin capsules are a prescription medicine used to treat:
Who should not take gabapentin capsules?
Do not take gabapentin capsules if you are allergic to gabapentin or any of the other ingredients in gabapentin capsules. See the end of this Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients in gabapentin capsules.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking gabapentin capsules?
Before taking gabapentin capsules, tell your healthcare provider if you:
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take any opioid pain medicine (such as oxycodone), any medicines for anxiety (such as lorazepam) or insomnia (such as zolpidem), or any medicines that make you sleepy.
You may have a higher chance for dizziness, sleepiness, or breathing problems if these medicines are taken with gabapentin capsules.
Taking gabapentin capsules with certain other medicines can cause side effects or affect how well they work. Do not start or stop other medicines without talking to your healthcare provider.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them and show it to your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How should I take gabapentin capsules?
If you take too much gabapentin, call your healthcare provider or your local Poison Control Center right away at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking gabapentin capsules?
What are the possible side effects of gabapentin capsules?
Gabapentin capsules may cause serious side effects including:
See “What is the most important information I should know about gabapentin capsules?”
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of gabapentin capsules. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store gabapentin capsules?
Keep gabapentin capsules and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General information about the safe and effective use of gabapentin capsules
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use gabapentin capsules for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give gabapentin capsules to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them.
This Medication Guide summarizes the most important information about gabapentin capsules. If you would like more information, talk with your healthcare provider. You can ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for information about gabapentin capsules that was written for healthcare professionals.
For more information, call Northstar Rx LLC at 1-800-206-7821.
What are the ingredients in gabapentin capsules?
Active ingredient: gabapentin
Inactive ingredients: corn starch and talc. The empty hard gelatin capsule shell consists of gelatin, sodium lauryl sulfate, and titanium dioxide. In addition 300 mg also contains yellow iron oxide and 400 mg also contains yellow iron oxide and red iron oxide. The capsules are printed with edible ink containing black iron oxide and shellac.
This Medication Guide has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
* All brands listed are the trademarks of their respective owners and are not trademarks of Aurobindo Pharma Limited.
Medication Guides available at www.northstarrxllc.com/products or call 1-800-206-7821.
Manufactured for: Northstar Rx LLC
Memphis, TN 38141.
Manufactured by: Aurobindo Pharma Limited
Advanced Rx Pharmacy of Tennessee, LLC
Nashville, TN 37211