CITALOPRAM HYDROBROMIDE- citalopram hydrobromide tablet
Bryant Ranch Prepack
What is the most important information I should know about citalopram tablets?
Citalopram tablets may cause serious side effects, including:
How can I watch for and try to prevent suicidal thoughts and actions in myself or a family member?
Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical help right away if you or your family member have any of the following symptoms, especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:
What are citalopram tablets?
Citalopram tablets are a prescription medicine used to treat a certain type of depression called Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) in adults.
It is not known if citalopram tablets are safe and effective for use in children.
Who should not take citalopram tablets?
Do not take citalopram tablets if you:
Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you are not sure if you take an MAOI, including MAOIs such as linezolid or intravenous methylene blue.
Do not start taking an MAOI for at least 14 days after you stop treatment with citalopram tablets.
Before taking citalopram tablets, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Citalopram tablets and other medicines may affect each other causing possible serious side effects. Citalopram tablets may affect the way other medicines work and other medicines may affect the way citalopram tablets work.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take:
• medicines used to treat migraine headaches known as triptans
• tricyclic antidepressants
• St. John’s Wort
• medicines that can affect blood clotting such as aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and warfarin
• gatifloxacin or moxifloxacin
• medicines used to control your heart rate or rhythm (antiarrhythmics)
• medicines used to treat mood, anxiety, psychotic or thought disorders, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
Ask your healthcare provider if you are not sure if you are taking any of these medicines. Your healthcare provider can tell you if it is safe to take citalopram tablets with your other medicines.
Do not start or stop any other medicines during treatment with citalopram tablets without talking to your healthcare provider first. Stopping citalopram tablets suddenly may cause you to have serious side effects. See, “What are the possible side effects of citalopram tablets?”
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show to your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How should I take citalopram tablets?
• Take citalopram tablets exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to take it. Do not change your dose or stop taking citalopram tablets without first talking to your healthcare provider.
• Your healthcare provider may need to change the dose of citalopram tablets until it is the right dose for you.
• Take citalopram tablets 1 time each day with or without food.
• If you take too many citalopram tablets, call your healthcare provider or poison control center at 1-800-222-1222, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
What are the possible side effects of citalopram tablets? Citalopram tablets may cause serious side effects, including:
• See, “What is the most important information I should know about citalopram tablets?”
Heart rhythm problems. Citalopram tablets may cause a serious change in your heartbeat (a fast or irregular heartbeat) that may cause death. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you feel faint or pass out, or if you have a change in your heart beat.
• Serotonin syndrome. Taking citalopram tablets can cause a potentially life-threatening problem called serotonin syndrome. The risk of developing serotonin syndrome is increased when citalopram tablets are taken with certain other medicines. See, “Who should not take citalopram tablets?” Call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away if you have any of the following signs and symptoms of serotonin syndrome:
o seeing or hearing things that are not real (hallucinations)
o fast heart beat
o blood pressure changes
o high body temperature (hyperthermia)
o tremors, stiff muscles, or muscle twitching
o loss of coordination
o nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
Increased risk of bleeding. Taking citalopram tablets with aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), warfarin or blood thinners may add to this risk. Tell your healthcare provider right away about any unusual bleeding or bruising.
• Manic episodes. Manic episodes may happen in people with bipolar disorder who take citalopram tablets. Symptoms may include:
o greatly increased energy
o severe trouble sleeping
o racing thoughts
o reckless behavior
o unusually grand ideas
o excessive happiness or irritability
o talking more or faster than usual
Discontinuation syndrome. Suddenly stopping citalopram tablets may cause you to have serious side effects. Your healthcare provider may want to decrease your dose slowly. Symptoms may include:
o changes in your mood
o irritability and agitation
o problems sleeping
o electric shock sensation (paresthesia)
o ringing in your ears (tinnitus)
• Seizures (convulsions).
• Eye problems (angle-closure glaucoma). Many antidepressant medicines, including citalopram tablets, may cause a certain type of eye problem called angle-closure glaucoma. Call your healthcare provider if you have changes in your vision or eye pain.
• Low sodium levels in your blood (hyponatremia). Low sodium levels in your blood may be serious and may cause death. Elderly people may be at greater risk for this. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you develop any signs or symptoms of low sodium levels in your blood during treatment with citalopram tablets. Signs and symptoms of low sodium levels in your blood may include:
o difficulty concentrating
o memory changes
o weakness and unsteadiness on your feet which can lead to falls
In severe or more sudden cases, signs and symptoms include:
o hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not real)
o stopping breathing
• Sexual problems (dysfunction). Taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), including citalopram tablets, may cause sexual problems.
Symptoms in males may include:
o Delayed ejaculation or inability to have an ejaculation
o Decreased sex drive
o Problems getting or keeping an erection
Symptoms in females may include:
o Decreased sex drive
o Delayed orgasm or inability to have an orgasm
Talk to your healthcare provider if you develop any changes in your sexual function or if you have any questions or concerns about sexual problems during treatment with DRIZALMA SPRINKLE. There may be treatments your healthcare provider can suggest.
The most common side effect of citalopram tablets is delayed ejaculation.
These are not all the possible side effects of citalopram tablets.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store citalopram tablets?
• Store at 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature].
• Keep citalopram tablets and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General information about the safe and effective use of citalopram tablets
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use citalopram tablets for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give citalopram tablets to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them. You may ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for information about citalopram tablets that is written for healthcare professionals.
What are the ingredients in citalopram tablets?
Active ingredient: citalopram hydrobromide, USP
Inactive ingredients: copovidone, croscarmellose sodium, ferric oxide red, ferric oxide yellow, glycerin, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, starch, and titanium dioxide.
TORRENT PHARMACEUTICALS LTD., INDIA.
TORRENT PHARMA INC., Levittown, PA 19057.
8086978 Revised March 2022