ARIPIPRAZOLE- aripiprazole tablet
Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
| MEDICATION GUIDE
Aripiprazole (AR-i-PIP-ra-zole) Tablets, USP
| What is the most important information I should know about aripiprazole tablets?
(For other side effects, also see "What are the possible side effects of aripiprazole tablets?").
Serious side effects may happen when you take aripiprazole tablets, including:
● Increased risk of death in elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis: Medicines like aripiprazole tablets can raise the risk of death in elderly people who have lost touch with reality (psychosis) due to confusion and memory loss (dementia). Aripiprazole tablets are not approved for the treatment of patients with dementia-related psychosis.
● Risk of suicidal thoughts or actions: Antidepressant medicines, depression and other serious mental illnesses, and suicidal thoughts or actions:
● thoughts about suicide or dying
● attempts to commit suicide
● new or worse depression
● new or worse anxiety
● feeling very agitated or restless
● panic attacks
● trouble sleeping (insomnia)
● new or worse irritability
● acting aggressive, being angry, or violent
● acting on dangerous impulses
● an extreme increase in activity and talking (mania)
● other unusual changes in behavior or mood
What else do I need to know about antidepressant medicines?
● Never stop an antidepressant medicine without first talking to a healthcare provider. Stopping an antidepressant medicine suddenly can cause other symptoms.
● Antidepressants are medicines used to treat depression and other illnesses. It is important to discuss all the risks of treating depression and also the risks of not treating it. Patients and their families or other caregivers should discuss all treatment choices with the healthcare provider, not just the use of antidepressants.
● Antidepressant medicines have other side effects. Talk to the healthcare provider about the side effects of the medicine prescribed for you or your family member.
● Antidepressant medicines can interact with other medicines. Know all of the medicines that you or your family member take. Keep a list of all medicines to show the healthcare provider. Do not start new medicines without first checking with your healthcare provider.
● Not all antidepressant medicines prescribed for children are FDA approved for use in children . Talk to your child's healthcare provider for more information.
| What are aripiprazole tablets?
● Aripiprazole Oral tablets, are prescription medicine used to treat:
ο manic or mixed episodes that happen with bipolar I disorder
ο major depressive disorder (MDD) when aripiprazole tablets are used with antidepressant medicines
ο irritability associated with autistic disorder
ο Tourette's disorder
It is not known if aripiprazole tablets are safe or effective in children:
● under 13 years of age with schizophrenia
● under 10 years of age with bipolar I disorder
● under 6 years of age with irritability associated with autistic disorder
● under 6 years of age with Tourette's disorder
|Do not take aripiprazole tablets if you are allergic to aripiprazole or any of the ingredients in aripiprazole tablets. See the end of this Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients in aripiprazole tablets.|
Before taking aripiprazole tablets, tell your healthcare providerabout all your medical conditions, including if you have or had:
°If you become pregnant while receiving aripiprazole, talk to your healthcare provider about registering with the National Pregnancy Registry for Atypical Antipsychotics. You can register by calling 1-866-961-2388 or go to http://womensmentalhealth.org/clinical-and-research-programs/pregnancyregistry/
● breast-feeding or plans to breast-feed. Aripiprazole passes into your breast milk. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive aripiprazole tablets.
| How should I take aripiprazole tablets?
● Take aripiprazole tablets exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to take them. Do not change the dose or stop taking aripiprazole tablets yourself.
● Aripiprazole tablets can be taken with or without food.
● Aripiprazole tablets should be swallowed whole.
● If you miss a dose of aripiprazole tablets, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, just skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of aripiprazole tablets at the same time.
● If you take too many aripiprazole tablets, call your healthcare provider or poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 right away, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
| What should I avoid while taking aripiprazole tablets?
● Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how aripiprazole tablets affect you. Aripiprazole tablets may make you drowsy.
● Avoid getting over-heated or dehydrated.
Ο Do not over-exercise.
Ο In hot weather, stay inside in a cool place if possible.
Ο Stay out of the sun. Do not wear too much or heavy clothing.
Ο Drink plenty of water.
| What are the possible side effects of aripiprazole tablets?
Aripiprazole may cause serious side effects, including:
● See "What is the most important information I should know about aripiprazole tablets?"
● Stroke in elderly people (cerebrovascular problems) that can lead to death
● Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). Tell your healthcare provider right away if you have some or all of the following symptoms: high fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, changes in pulse, heart rate, and blood pressure. These may be symptoms of a rare and serious condition that can lead to death. Call your healthcare provider right away if you haver any of these symptoms.
● Uncontrolled body movements (tardive dyskinesia). Aripiprazole may cause movements that you cannot control in your face, tongue, or other body parts. Tardive dyskinesia may not go away, even if you stop receiving aripiprazole. Tardive dyskinesia may also start after you stop receiving aripiprazole.
● Problems with your metabolism such as:
▪ High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) and diabetes. Increases in blood sugar can happen in some people who take aripiprazole tablets. Extremely high blood sugar can lead to coma or death. If you have diabetes or risk factors for diabetes (such as being overweight or a family history of diabetes), your healthcare provider should check your blood sugar before you start aripiprazole tablets and during your treatment.
Call your healthcare provider if you have any of these symptoms of high blood sugar while receiving aripiprazole tablets:
► feel very thirsty
► need to urinate more than usual
► feel very hungry
► feel weak or tired
► feel sick to your stomach
► feel confused, or your breath smells fruity
ο Increased fat levels (cholesterol and triglycerides) in your blood.
ο Weight gain. You and your healthcare provider should check your weight regularly.
● Unusual urges. Some people taking aripiprazole tablets have had unusual urges, such as gambling, binge eating or eating that you cannot control (compulsive), compulsive shopping and sexual urges. If you or your family members notice that you are having unusual urges or behaviors, talk to your healthcare provider.
● Orthostatic hypotension (decreased blood pressure).
Lightheadedness or fainting may happen when rising too quickly from a sitting or lying position.
● Falls. Aripiprazole may make you sleepy or dizzy, may cause a decrease in your blood pressure when changing position and can slow your thinking and motor skills which may lead to falls that can cause fractures or other injuries.
● Low white blood cell count
● Seizures (convulsions)
● Problems with control of your body temperature especially when you exercise a lot or are in an area that is very hot. It is important for you to drink water to avoid dehydration. See "What should I avoid while receiving aripiprazole tablets?"
● Difficulty swallowing that can cause food or liquid to get into your lungs.
The most common side effects of aripiprazole tablets in adults include:
● blurred vision
● upper respiratory illness
● inner sense of restlessness/need to move (akathisia)
The most common side effects of aripiprazole tablets in children include:
● feeling sleepy
● increased or decreased appetite
● increased saliva or drooling
● stuffy nose
● weight gain
● uncontrolled movement such as restlessness, tremor
● muscle stiffness
These are not all the possible side effects of aripiprazole tablets.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
| How should I store aripiprazole tablets?
● Store aripiprazole tablets at 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F)
Keep aripiprazole tablets and all medicines out of the reach of children.
| General information about the safe and effective use of aripiprazole tablets.
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use aripiprazole tablets for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give aripiprazole tablets to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them. You can ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for information about aripiprazole tablets that was written for healthcare professionals.
| What are the ingredients in aripiprazole tablets?
Active ingredient: aripiprazole, USP
Tablets: colloidal silicon dioxide, crospovidone, hydroxypropyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, mannitol and microcrystalline cellulose. Additionally, 2 mg tablets contain ferric oxide yellow.
For more information about aripiprazole tablets call 1-800-912-9561
This Medication Guide has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
TORRENT PHARMACEUTICALS LTD., INDIA.
TORRENT PHARMA INC., Basking Ridge, NJ 07920.
8091277 Revised: January 2023