|ARMODAFINIL (ar˝ moe daf´ i nil)
tablets, for oral use, C-IV
What is the most important information I should know about ARMODAFINIL?
ARMODAFINIL is a federal controlled substance (C-IV) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep ARMODAFINIL in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away ARMODAFINIL may harm others, and is against the law. Tell your doctor if you have ever abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines or street drugs.
ARMODAFINIL may cause serious side effects including a serious rash or a serious allergic reaction that may affect parts of your body such as your liver or blood cells. Any of these may need to be treated in a hospital and may be life-threatening.
Stop taking ARMODAFINIL and call your doctor right away or get emergency help if you have any of these symptoms:
- skin rash, hives, sores in your mouth, or your skin blisters and peels
- swelling of your face, eyes, lips, tongue, or throat
- trouble swallowing, breathing, or hoarseness
- fever, shortness of breath, swelling of the legs, yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, or dark urine.
If you have a severe rash with ARMODAFINIL, stopping the medicine may not keep the rash from becoming life-threatening or causing you to be permanently disabled or disfigured.
ARMODAFINIL is not approved for use in children for any medical condition.
It is not known if ARMODAFINIL is safe and effective in children under the age of 18.
What is ARMODAFINIL?
ARMODAFINIL is a prescription medicine used to improve wakefulness in adults who are very sleepy due to one of the following diagnosed sleep disorders:
ARMODAFINIL will not cure these sleep disorders. ARMODAFINIL may help the sleepiness caused by these conditions, but it may not stop all your sleepiness. ARMODAFINIL does not take the place of getting enough sleep. Follow your doctor's advice about good sleep habits and using other treatments.
- obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). ARMODAFINIL is used with other medical treatments for this sleep disorder. ARMODAFINIL does not take the place of using your CPAP machine or other treatments that your doctor has prescribed for this condition. It is important that you continue to use these treatments as prescribed by your doctor.
- shift work disorder (SWD)
Do not take ARMODAFINIL:
- are allergic to any of its ingredients. See the end of this Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients in ARMODAFINIL.
- have had a rash or allergic reaction to either ARMODAFINIL (NUVIGIL®) or modafinil (PROVIGIL®). These medicines are very similar.
Before you take ARMODAFINIL, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- have a history of mental health problems, including psychosis
- have heart problems or had a heart attack
- have high blood pressure. Your blood pressure may need to be checked more often while taking ARMODAFINIL.
- have liver or kidney problems
- have a history of drug or alcohol abuse or addiction
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known if ARMODAFINIL will harm your unborn baby.
Pregnancy Registry: There is a registry for women who become pregnant during treatment with ARMODAFINIL. The purpose of this registry is to collect information about the safety of ARMODAFINIL during pregnancy. Contact the registry as soon as you learn that you are pregnant, or ask your doctor to contact the registry for you. You or your doctor can get information and enroll you in the registry by calling 1-866-404-4106.
- are breastfeeding. It is not known if ARMODAFINIL passes into your milk. Talk to your doctor about the best way to feed your baby if you take ARMODAFINIL.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. ARMODAFINIL and many other medicines can interact with each other, sometimes causing side effects. ARMODAFINIL may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect how ARMODAFINIL works. Your dose of ARMODAFINIL or certain other medicines may need to be changed.
Especially, tell your doctor if you use or take:
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them and show it to your doctor and pharmacist when you get a new medicine. Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you if it is safe to take ARMODAFINIL and other medicines together. Do not start any new medicines with ARMODAFINIL unless your doctor has told you it is okay.
- a hormonal birth control method, such as birth control pills, shots, implants, patches, vaginal rings, and intrauterine devices (IUDs). Hormonal birth control methods may not work while you take ARMODAFINIL. Women who use one of these methods of birth control may have a higher chance for getting pregnant while taking ARMODAFINIL, and for 1 month after stopping ARMODAFINIL. You should use effective birth control while taking ARMODAFINIL and for 1 month after your final dose. Talk to your doctor about birth control choices that are right for you while taking ARMODAFINIL.
How should I take ARMODAFINIL?
- Take ARMODAFINIL exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor will prescribe the dose of ARMODAFINIL that is right for you. Do not change your dose of ARMODAFINIL without talking to your doctor.
- Your doctor will tell you the right time of day to take ARMODAFINIL.
- People with narcolepsy or OSA usually take ARMODAFINIL one time each day in the morning.
- People with SWD usually take ARMODAFINIL about 1 hour before their work shift.
- Do not change the time of day you take ARMODAFINIL unless you have talked to your doctor. If you take ARMODAFINIL too close to your bedtime, you may find it harder to go to sleep.
- You can take ARMODAFINIL with or without food.
- If you take more than your prescribed dose or if you take an overdose of ARMODAFINIL, call your doctor or poison control center right away.
Symptoms of an overdose of ARMODAFINIL may include:
● Trouble sleeping ● Restlessness
● Confusion ● Feeling disoriented
● Feeling excited ● Hearing, seeing, feeling, or sensing things that are not really there (hallucinations)
● Nausea and diarrhea ● A fast or slow heartbeat
● Chest pain ● Increased blood pressure
● Anxiety ● Shortness of breath
What should I avoid while taking ARMODAFINIL?
- Do not drive a car or do other dangerous activities until you know how ARMODAFINIL affects you. People with sleep disorders should always be careful about doing things that could be dangerous. Do not change your daily habits until your doctor tells you it is okay.
- You should avoid drinking alcohol. It is not known how drinking alcohol will affect you when taking ARMODAFINIL.
What are the possible side effects of ARMODAFINIL?
ARMODAFINIL may cause serious side effects. Stop taking ARMODAFINIL and call your doctor right away or get emergency help if you get any of the following:
a serious rash or serious allergic reaction. (See “What is the most important information I should know about ARMODAFINIL?”)
mental (psychiatric) symptoms, including:
○ depression ○ feeling anxious
○ hearing, seeing, feeling, or sensing things that are not really there (hallucinations) ○ an extreme increase in activity and talking (mania)
○ thoughts of suicide ○ aggressive behavior
○ other mental problems
symptoms of a heart problem, including chest pain, abnormal heart beats, and trouble breathing.
The most common side effects of ARMODAFINIL include:
● headache ● nausea
● dizziness ● trouble sleeping
These are not all the possible side effects of ARMODAFINIL.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store ARMODAFINIL?
- Store ARMODAFINIL at room temperature between 68° to 77°F (20° to 25°C).
Keep ARMODAFINIL and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General information about the safe and effective use of ARMODAFINIL.
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use ARMODAFINIL for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give ARMODAFINIL to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them and is against the law. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information about ARMODAFINIL that is written for health professionals.
What are the ingredients in ARMODAFINIL?
Active ingredient: armodafinil
Inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, croscarmellose sodium, povidone, and magnesium stearate.
This Medication Guide has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Aurobindo Pharma USA, Inc.
Dayton, NJ 08810
The brands listed are the registered trademarks of their respective owners and are not trademarks of Aurobindo Pharma USA. Inc. Revised: March 2017