Label: PSORIASIN DEEP MOISTURIZING- coal tar ointment
- NDC Code(s): 52389-652-01, 52389-652-02, 52389-652-42
- Packager: Alva-Amco Pharmacal Companies, Inc.
- Category: HUMAN OTC DRUG LABEL
- DEA Schedule: None
- Marketing Status: OTC monograph final
DISCLAIMER: Most OTC drugs are not reviewed and approved by FDA, however they may be marketed if they comply with applicable regulations and policies. FDA has not evaluated whether this product complies.
Updated September 21, 2018
If you are a consumer or patient please visit this version.
- Active ingredient
- Ask a doctor before use
- WHEN USING
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- condition worsens
- condition does not improve after regular use of this product as directed.
Use caution in exposing skin to sunlight after applying this product, as it may increase your tendency to sunburn for up to 24 hours after application.
Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- Read all package directions and warnings before use.
- Use only as directed.
- Apply (gently massage in) a small amount of Psoriasin to affected areas.
- Apply one to four times daily or as directed by a doctor.
- Apply to thoroughly dry skin.
- May be difficult to wash out of hair; consider this before using on scalp or hairline areas.
- The active ingredient, coal tar, in Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment may affect very light hair color; test first on a small patch of hair before broader application to areas where light colored hair is present.
- Wash affected areas at least daily with mild soap and warm water and dry thoroughly.
- Intended for use by normally healthy adults only.
- Persons under 18 years of age or those with highly sensitive or allergic skin should use only as directed by a doctor.
- Other information
- Inactive ingredients
Psoriasin Ointment Insert
PSORIASIN DEEP MOISTURIZING OINTMENT
- Stops Psoriasis itching, scaling, redness
- Can complement topical steroids
- Visible results in just days
- Helps prevent recurrence
Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment treats psoriasis symptoms where they start, to help stop the itching, flaking, redness and related discomforts associated with psoriasis. Formulated in a soothing ointment base, it penetrates the skin while the rich moisturizing ingredients help create a barrier to lock in moisture for hours - so it's great for overnight use. Use Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment to relieve symptoms of psoriasis and to help restore your skin to a more natural looking appearance.
How Coal Tar Works
The coal tar in Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment slows down the excessive skin cell production that is the root cause of psoriasis symptoms. No other FDA compliant non-prescription drug ingredient works this way. Slowing excessive skin cell production means it can help reduce the itching, scaling and redness of psoriasis. With regular use as directed, Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment can even help prevent recurrence of psoriasis symptoms. And coal tar can be used to complement topical steroid therapies.
The Role of Topical Steroids
Topical steroids - similar to the natural corticosteroid hormones produced by the andrenal glands - are a frequently used psoriasis symptom treatment. Topical steroids are used as anti-inflammatory agents to reduce the swelling and redness of lesions. Although topical steroids can produce rapid symptom relief, continuous use of them may cause potential side effects such as skin thinning.
Topical Therapy Choices for Psoriasis Symptom Control
Due to the well documented side effects of topical steroids, some experts recommend using intermittent therapy (also called weekend or pulse therapy). This type of treatment involves applying a topical steroid for three consecutive days each week followed by four days of a coal tar medication like Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment. Ask your doctor if this approach might be right for you.
PSORIASIS SELF-CARE TIPS
In addition to psoriasis treatments recommended by a doctor, you can help reduce psoriasis symptoms by using self-care approaches, including:
Keep Skin Moisturized
Using a moisturizer is an important part of self-care for psoriasis. Dry skin makes irritation and itching caused by psoriasis worse than it needs to be. A vicious cycle can result: dry skin can cause itching and scratching, leading to new psoriasis patches developing on the irritated skin. Dermatologists recommend ointments and heavy creams to lock water into the skin.
Bathe with Care
Too many baths and showers can dry your skin. Here are a few suggestions:
- Don't bathe or shower with hot water, which can irritate. Use lukewarm water instead.
- Don't dry off by rubbing with a towel. Pat yourself somewhat dry and then apply cream.
- Plain water can dry your skin. Adding salts, oil or finely ground oatmeal to bath water can help to soothe your skin.
- Take fewer showers and baths. They can strip your skin of natural oils. Bathe every other day or every third day, especially during the winter months.
Stress can cause psoriasis to flare for the first time or aggravate existing psoriasis. Relaxation and stress reduction may help prevent stress from making your psoriasis worse.
- Engage in relaxation techniques, such as yoga, meditation, or massage
- Excercise regularly
- Get enough sleep
Be Smart About Sunlight
The ultraviolet rays in sunlight slow the growth of skin cells, so getting moderate doses of sun is good. But make it brief and use sunscreen, because sunburn can trigger psoriasis flare-ups. Some medications can make your skin more sensitive to ultraviolet rays, so talk to your doctor first.
Stick to the Plan
Applying creams or ointments day after day can be inconvenient. But compliance is the key for topical therapies. Once you have a topical treatment regimen that's working for you, making it part of your daily routine can improve results. Also, topical therapies help you avoid the potential side effects of systemic treatments for psoriasis.
The active ingredient in Psoriasin Deep Moisturizing Ointment has been recognized to be safe and effective by an FDA Expert Advisory Panel when used as directed.
USE THE FAMILY OF PSORIASIN PRODUCTS TO BUILD YOUR PSORIASIS TREATMENT REGIMEN:
- PSORIASIN PROBLEM SKIN FORMULA CREAM Combines a low dose of coal tar with botanicals & Vitamin D3 in a soothing cream that won't irritate sensitive skin.
- PSORIASIN DEEP MOISTURIZING OINTMENT delivers coal tar in a base that locks in moisture for hours to help restore your skin's appearance.
- PSORIASIN DAYTIME RELIEF VANISHING GEL is a quick-drying, low-odor coal tar therapy
- PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
INGREDIENTS AND APPEARANCE
PSORIASIN DEEP MOISTURIZING
coal tar ointment
Product Information Product Type HUMAN OTC DRUG Item Code (Source) NDC:52389-652 Route of Administration TOPICAL Active Ingredient/Active Moiety Ingredient Name Basis of Strength Strength COAL TAR (UNII: R533ESO2EC) (COAL TAR - UNII:R533ESO2EC) COAL TAR 20 mg in 1 g Inactive Ingredients Ingredient Name Strength PETROLATUM (UNII: 4T6H12BN9U) ALCOHOL (UNII: 3K9958V90M) POLYSORBATE 80 (UNII: 6OZP39ZG8H) LIGHT MINERAL OIL (UNII: N6K5787QVP) Packaging # Item Code Package Description Marketing Start Date Marketing End Date 1 NDC:52389-652-42 1 in 1 CARTON 03/10/2017 1 NDC:52389-652-01 119 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product 2 NDC:52389-652-02 119 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product 06/04/2018 Marketing Information Marketing Category Application Number or Monograph Citation Marketing Start Date Marketing End Date OTC monograph final part358H 03/10/2017 Labeler - Alva-Amco Pharmacal Companies, Inc. (042074856)