Label: PSORIASIN GEL- coal tar topical gel gel
52389-166-42, view more52389-166-43, 52389-166-56
- Packager: Alva-Amco Pharmacal Companies, Inc.
- Category: HUMAN OTC DRUG LABEL
DISCLAIMER: Most OTC drugs are not reviewed and approved by FDA, however they may be marketed if they comply with applicable regulations and policies. FDA has not evaluated whether this product complies.
Updated November 9, 2020
If you are a healthcare professional or from the pharmaceutical industry please visit this version.
- Active ingredient
- Ask a doctor before use
- WHEN USING
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- condition worsens
- condition does not improve after regular use of this product as directed.
Use caution in exposing skin to sunlight after applying this product, as it may increase your tendency to sunburn for up to 24 hours after application.
Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- Read all package directions and warnings before use.
- Use only as directed.
- Apply (gently massage in) a small amount of Psoriasin Gel to affected areas.
- Apply one to four times daily or as directed by a doctor.
- Apply to thoroughly dry skin.
- The active ingredient, coal tar, in Psoriasin Gel may affect very light hair color; test first on a few strands of hair before broader application to areas where light colored hair is present.
- Wash affected area at least daily with mild soap and warm water and dry thoroughly.
- Intended for use by normally healthy adults only.
- Persons under 18 years of age or those with highly sensitive or allergic skin should use only as directed by a doctor.
- Other Information
- Inactive ingredients
DAYTIME RELIEF VANISHING GEL
- Stops Psoriasis itching, scaling, redness
- Can complement topical steroids
- Dries quickly, low odor
- Visible results in just days
- Helps prevent recurrence
Psoriasin Daytime Relief Vanishing Gel gets to work quickly to help stop the itching, flaking, redness and related discomforts associated with psoriasis. Formulated in a vanishing gel base with aloe and vitamin E, it applies easily, dries quickly and absorbs thoroughly, leaving no greasy appearance or lingering odor. Use Psoriasin Daytime Relief Vanishing Gel with confidence to relieve symptoms of psoriasis and help restore you skin to a more natural looking appearance.
How Coal Tar Works
The coal tar in Psoriasin Daytime Relief Vanishing Gel slows down the excessive skin cell production that is the root cause of psoriasis symptoms. No other FDA compliant non-prescription drug ingredient works this way. Slowing excesive skin cell production means it can help reduce the itching, scaling and redness of psoriasis. With regular use as directed, Psoriasin Daytime Relief Vanishing Gel can even help prevent recurrence of psoriasis symptoms. And coal tar can be used to complement topical steroid therapies.
The Role of Topical Steroids
Topical steroids - similar to the natural corticosteroid hormones produced by the adrenal glands - are a frequently used psoriasis symptom treatment. Topical steroids are used as anti-inflammatory agents to reduce the swelling and redness of lesions. Although topical steroids can produce rapid symptom relief, continuous use of them may cause potential side effects such as skin thinning.
Topical Therapy Choices for Psoriasis Symptom Control
Due to the well documented side effects of topical steroids, some experts recommend using intermittent therapy (also called weekend or pulse therapy). This type of treatment involves applying a topical steroid for three consecutive days each week followed by four days of a coal tar medication like Psoriasin Daytime Relief Vanishing Gel. Ask your doctor if this approach might be right for you.
PSORIASIS SELF-CARE TIPS
In addition to psoriasis treatments recommended by a doctor, you can help reduce psoriasis symptoms by using self-care approaches, including:
Keep Skin Moisturized
Using a moisturizer is an important part of self-care for psoriasis. Dry skin makes irritation and itching caused by psoriasis worse than it needs to be. A vicious cycle can result: dry skin can cause itching and scratching, leading to new psoriasis patches developing on the irritated skin. Dermatologists recommend ointments and heavy creams to lock water into the skin.
Bathe with Care
Too many baths and showers can dry your skin. Here are a few suggestions:
- Don't bathe or shower with hot water, which can irritate. Use lukewarm water instead.
- Don't dry off by rubbing with a towel. Pat yourself somewhat dry and then apply cream.
- Plain water can dry your skin. Adding salts, oil, or finely ground oatmeal to bath water can help to soothe your skin.
- Take fewer showers and baths. They can strip your skin of natural oils. Bathe every other day or every third day, especially during the winter months.
Stress can cause psoriasis to flare for the first time or aggravate existing psoriasis. Relaxation and stress reduction may help prevent stress from making your psoriasis symptoms worse.
- Engage in relaxation techniques, such as yoga, meditation, or massage
- Excercise regularly
- Get enough sleep
Be Smart About Sunlight
The ultraviolet rays in sunlight slow the growth of skin cells, so getting moderate doses of sun is good. But make it brief and use sunscreen, because sunburn can trigger psoriasis flare-ups. Some medications can make your skin more sensitive to ultraviolet rays, so talk to your doctor first.
Stick to the Plan
Applying creams and ointments day after day can be inconvenient. But compliance is the key for topical therapies. Once you have a topical treatment regimen that's working for you, making it part of you daily routine can improve results. Also, topical therapies help you avoid the potential side effects of systemic treatments for psoriasis.
The active ingredient in Psoriasin Daytime Relief Vanishing Gel has been recognized to be safe and effective by an FDA Expert Advisory Panel when used as directed.
USE THE FAMILY OF PSORIASIN PRODUCTS TO BUILD YOUR PSORIASIS TREATMENT REGIMEN:
- PSORIASIN PROBLEM SKIN FORMULA CREAM Combines a low dose of coal tar with botanicals & Vitamin D3 in a soothing cream that won't irritate sensitive skin
- PSORIASIN DEEP MOISTURIZING OINTMENT Delivers coal tar in a base that locks in moisture for hours to help restore your skin's appearance
- PSORIASIN DAYTIME RELIEF VANISHING GEL Is a quick-drying, low-odor coal tar therapy
- PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
INGREDIENTS AND APPEARANCE
coal tar topical gel gel
Product Information Product Type HUMAN OTC DRUG Item Code (Source) NDC:52389-166 Route of Administration TOPICAL Active Ingredient/Active Moiety Ingredient Name Basis of Strength Strength COAL TAR (UNII: R533ESO2EC) (COAL TAR - UNII:R533ESO2EC) COAL TAR 12.5 mg in 1 g Inactive Ingredients Ingredient Name Strength ALOE VERA LEAF (UNII: ZY81Z83H0X) ALCOHOL (UNII: 3K9958V90M) HYDROXYPROPYL CELLULOSE (TYPE M) (UNII: U3JF91U133) ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (UNII: ND2M416302) POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL 400 (UNII: B697894SGQ) POLYSORBATE 80 (UNII: 6OZP39ZG8H) WATER (UNII: 059QF0KO0R) ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (UNII: 9E8X80D2L0) Packaging # Item Code Package Description Marketing Start Date Marketing End Date 1 NDC:52389-166-21 21.25 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product 03/01/2001 06/01/2013 2 NDC:52389-166-01 1 in 1 CARTON 03/15/2013 2 NDC:52389-166-28 28.35 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product 3 NDC:52389-166-56 2 in 1 CARTON 10/01/2013 3 NDC:52389-166-28 28.35 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product 4 NDC:52389-166-42 2 in 1 BOX 01/02/2013 06/01/2013 4 21.25 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product 5 NDC:52389-166-43 2 in 1 BOX 06/01/2020 5 21.25 g in 1 TUBE; Type 0: Not a Combination Product Marketing Information Marketing Category Application Number or Monograph Citation Marketing Start Date Marketing End Date OTC monograph final part358H 02/18/1996 Labeler - Alva-Amco Pharmacal Companies, Inc. (042074856)