[Medline Industries, Inc.]
|Category||DEA Schedule||Marketing Status|
|HUMAN OTC DRUG LABEL||OTC monograph not final|
- for relief of fecal impaction or occasional constipation, without straining or irritating the mucosa of the bowel, by lubricating and softening the stool
- generally produces bowel movement in 2 to 15 minutes.
- for cleansing the bowel and removal of residue after barium enema administration.
Dosage warning: Using more than one enema in 24 hours can be harmful.
CAUTION: FOR RECTAL USE ONLY.
Ask a doctor before using any laxative if you:
- have nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- have sudden change in bowel habits lasting more than 2 weeks
- have already used a laxative for more than 1 week
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you
are taking any other drug. Take this product two or more hours before or after other drugs. Laxatives may affect how other drugs work.
When using this product, do not use more than directed.
Serious side effects may occur from excess dosage.
Stop using this product and consult a doctor if you:
- have rectal bleeding
- have no bowel movement after the enema is given
These symptoms may indicate a serious condition.
Remove green protective shield before inserting: hold bottle upright, grasping bottle cap with fingers. Grasp protective shield with other hand and pull gently to remove.
Do not use more unless directed by a doctor. See Warnings.
|adults & children 12 years and older||one bottle once daily|
|children 2 to under 12 years||½ bottle once daily|
|children under 2 years||do not use|
Left-side position: lie on left side with knee bent and arms at rest.
Knee-chest position: kneel, then lower head and chest forward until left side of face is resting on surface. Position arms comfortably.
- With steady pressure, gently insert enema tip into rectum with a slight side-to-side movement, with tip pointing toward navel. Insertion may be easier if person receiving enema bears down, as if having a bowel movement. This helps relax the muscles around the anus.
- Do not force the enema tip into the rectum as this can cause injury.
- Squeeze bottle until nearly all liquid is gone. It is not necessary to empty the bottle completely, as it contains more liquid than needed.
- Remove enema tip from rectum
- Retain enema in accordance with doctor’s instructions
Follow with a cleansing enema: To remove stools or other residue now softened or lubricated, it is suggested that you use a regular enema to cleanse the bowel.
- bottle, cap and shield are latex-free.
- Consult Physicians’ Desk Reference® for complete professional labeling.
mineral oil enema
|Labeler - Medline Industries, Inc. (025460908)|